Dne 29.1.2011 17:53, Jeremy Bopp napsal(a):
> On 01/29/2011 10:33 AM, Vt Ondruch wrote:

>>> Wouldn't that fact imply that "bla.*" should also match "bla" in that
>>> case?  I think that is where the confusion lies.  Some globs, such as
>>> "bla.*", won't match "bla" while others, such as "bla.", will match.
>>>
>>> I would argue that for compatibility reasons, globbing on "bla." should
>>> *not* match even on Windows.  Globbing under the Windows cmd shell is
>>> different than under Unix shells, but Ruby should enforce a single
>>> globbing strategy for all supported platforms for consistency.
>>>
>>> -Jeremy
>>>
>> Well ruby should enforce as much as it can, but you should remember that
>> while you can do this on linux:
>>
>> vita@vita-desktop:~$ echo something>  bla
>> vita@vita-desktop:~$ echo something>  bla.
>> vita@vita-desktop:~$ ls bla*
>> bla  bla.
>>

>> the windows version will have different result no matter what:
>>

>> C:\temp>echo something>  bla
>>
>> C:\temp>echo something>  bla.
>>
>> C:\temp>dir bla*
>>   Svazek v jednotce C je Windows7_x64_OS.
>>   Sriov slo svazku je 2C6E-5F69.
>>
>>   Vpis adrese C:\temp
>>
>> 29.01.2011  17:31                12 bla
>>             Soubor:      1,   Bajt:                     12
>>             Adres:     0,   Volnch bajt: 21 459 759 104
>>
>> C:\temp>dir bla*.*
>>   Svazek v jednotce C je Windows7_x64_OS.
>>   Sriov slo svazku je 2C6E-5F69.
>>
>>   Vpis adrese C:\temp
>>
>> 29.01.2011  17:31                12 bla
>>             Soubor:      1,   Bajt:                     12
>>             Adres:     0,   Volnch bajt: 21 459 759 104
> My ultimate argument is that Ruby should support only Unix-style
> globbing, except in cases where a cross platform extension to globbing
> is implemented.  Globbing under the Windows cmd shell is slightly
> broken, IMHO.  I agree that Windows users expect globbing to be
> implemented like that, but having slightly different globbing
> implementations in Ruby makes it much more difficult than it needs to be
> to write cross platform Ruby scripts.
>
> I could possibly see adding a new flag for globbing that enables
> Windows-style globbing for any platform, but that should never be
> enabled by default.  Most scripts using globbing probably expect
> Unix-style globbing since that is basically what we have now.  Enabling
> Windows-style globbing by default would likely introduce subtle defects
> in those scripts.
>
> -Jeremy

Well glob should behave on Windows by Windows conventions and on Unix by
Unix conventions. It is like if you will insist that file creation has
to behave the same way on Unix as on Windows. See my previous example.

Another example: Dir.glob 'bla\*' is ultimately something different on
Unix and Windows. I am not sure how would you like to workaround this ....