Issue #4239 has been updated by Zeno Davatz.

Dear Matsumoto-san

Consistency should have been between Ruby 1.8 and 1.9. That is why I fight for a Ruby 1.8.8 because I want to bridge the inconsistent gap (the crevasse) between Ruby 1.8 and Ruby 1.9. Clearly you do not care about that consistency. Please tell me _why_ you do not care about that consistency.

All of the Apps we wrote on Ruby 1.8. have to be rewritten for Ruby 1.9 - ALL of them! So obviously you only care about consistency within one major release.

I would prefer consistency between 1.8 and 1.9 and not _within_ 1.8 and within 1.9. That is the problem.

Linus Torvalds shows how one can apply many patches from many different people and therefore keep up with consistency and with _integrating_ patches at a fast pace. I think that should be the goal for Ruby as well.

I do not have a problem when features are phased out but switching to a new version should work seamlessly.
That is what I mean when I say booting into a new RC-Release of Kernel does _not_ give me a kernel panic.

Linus hates it if people break existing features for the normal John-Doe user, but the kernel is still constantly being upgraded. That I totally agree with.

Dear Yui-san

When I boot into a new kernel then I do _not_ get a Kernel-Panic in 97% of the cases. When I try to run my Ruby 1.8 Apps on Ruby 1.9 all of them have to be rewritten because so many things have fundamentally changed. Now that is inconsistent. Please watch how Linus Torvalds cares about consistency, then you know what I mean. Start booting into every RC Release Kernel. Always clone from the Linus git directory and you will get the feeling of what consistency is.

Dear Cezary

Yes, Ruby is "cool" but in my respect it cares to much about the coolness and the HIP-Style and not enough about consistency. The bigger your App grows the more important consistency is.

Best
Zeno

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org