--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:41:45AM +0900, Zeno Davatz wrote:
> Issue #4239 has been updated by Zeno Davatz.
>
> If you have time, could you please explain what you mean by 'it is not necessarily a goal of Ruby to be consistent'? Any links you can point out to cement that philosophy?

This may sound like a cheesy reply from someone with much less
experience, but please bear with me.

  http://www.artima.com/intv/ruby.html

From the article:

  "Matz began work on Ruby back in 1993, because he wanted a language
  that made him productive while being fun to use."

Quotes by Matz:

  "I emphasize the feeling, in particular, how I feel using Ruby."

  "I believe consistency and orthogonality are tools of design, not
  the primary goal in design."

I can deeply relate to that, but only because Ruby seems like the
perfect language for me.

I honestly have the most fun when coding in Ruby. And I take that
"fun" part seriously ... If anyone knows a language more fun, let me
know and I'll switch in a heartbeat. Or if there is any other
language which has the same primary goal, I would love to compare.

Changing goals and visions to minimize project maintenance costs sound
like the opposite direction. That would be valuable, but I would
prefer that core developers spend more time on cool features, so they
can mature faster.

Personally, if the goal of keeping the language "nice" means other
sacrifices (like having huge costs in maintaining an old code base a
few years from now), I won't probably mind for a long time.

But then again, I have been only writing software for a little less
than 15 years, so maybe I will "grow up" and think different a few
years down the road. Or maybe not.

Regards,

Cezary

--