On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 1:05 PM, NARUSE, Yui <naruse / airemix.jp> wrote:
> Your suggestion seems:
> * we should release Ruby 1.8.8
> * Ruby 1.8.8 should include the Oniguruma Patch
> * The included feature must compatible with 1.9.2
>
> I must add one more requirement:
> * the Ruby 1.8.8 regexp must be compatible with 1.8.7
>
>> Slight off-Topic-Note: Consistency is really important for enterprise
>> users. It is really key. I think Ruby should care about enterprise
>> users too. Enterprise users are the "grandmothers" of the business.
>
> I think they are Rails users.
> Their answer is showed by Rails 3.

I'm definitely not in favor of bringing more 1.9.x features to the
1.8.x branch whether x is 6, 7, 8 or ...

But I think what 'enterprise' users are really looking for is a
rational relationship between minor versions and breaking changes. viz
http://semver.org/

It's water under the bridge, but 1.8.7 introduced several things which
broke applications and gems built using 1.8.6.  This was a major
factor in most rails developers staying on 1.8.6  and Engine Yard
taking on the maintenance of 1.8.6.  It was also problematic because
most re-packagers (like debian/ubuntu and I believe the RPM packagers)
take the same interpretation as the semantic versioning described
above, so they have separate packages for 1.8 and 1.9, but NOT for
1.8.6 and 1.8.7.

By now the breakage caused by 1.8.7 has mostly been healed and Rails
and the popular gems have caught up, and app developers for the most
part have either updated the app code to be 1.8.7 compatible, or have
frozen on 1.8.6 and gone silent.

And newly written Rails apps are using either 1.8.7 or 1.9.2.

But I'd hate to repeat that history with 1.8.8, it should not
introduce changes which break 1.8.7 apps, and it's hard to predict
what breaks apps in general, so it needs to take an overly
conservative approach IMHO.

--
Rick DeNatale

Github: http://github.com/rubyredrick