(2011/01/16 0:11), Zeno Davatz wrote:
> 1. Can you please point me to the discussion, where Ruby-Core decided
> _not_ to apply the Oniguruma-Patch in the first place to Ruby 1.8.7?
> Why was the patch never applied to Ruby 1.8.7 in the first place. Is
> there a discussion about that? I could not find anything so far. I am
> really interested to understand that decision better. You can also
> send me a Japanese Link, not a problem.

As far as I know, no such discussion.
Without discussion, we won't apply the patch to Ruby 1.8.7
because Ruby 1.8.7 is maintenance branch.
We won't merge any new feature to maintenance branchon current policy.

> 2. I get your argument but it does not seem chronologically logical
> to me. The Oniguruma-Patch for Ruby 1.8.6 was first. So I really do
> not understand why that patch was not applied in 1.8.7? What are the
> reasons for that?

I couldn't understand this.
This maybe from your misunderstanding relating 3.

> 3. Think consistency. I think Ruby should really try hard to be
> consistent. Again you come with the argument, that 1.9.2 regexp is
> not a copy of the Oniguruma Patch. Understood. But the case of
> Michael Felling shows that people _first_ used Oniguruma and then
> they upgrade to Ruby 1.9.2 and _then_ they see that Ruby 1.9.2 has
> regexp but is not 100% compatible with the Oniguruma Patch. But: The
> Oniguruma Patch was first and the people got used to that.

The first time when ruby meets Oniguruma is the year 2002.
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-dev/16196

Can this an answer?

> 4. What I am trying to say is that Ruby-1.8.8 should smoothen that
> gap. Michael Fellinger clearly states that his problem is "one out of
> many and the _shortest_ he could find". http://url.ba/uskq

I can't understand how Ruby 1.8.8 smooths the migration.
Could you show the logic?

> 5. My suggestion would be to apply the Patch for Ruby 1.8.8 and see
> to it that Ruby 1.9.2 covers 1.8.8 and does even more regexp then
> 1.8.8 - not less.

Your suggestion seems:
* we should release Ruby 1.8.8
* Ruby 1.8.8 should include the Oniguruma Patch
* The included feature must compatible with 1.9.2

I must add one more requirement:
* the Ruby 1.8.8 regexp must be compatible with 1.8.7

> Slight off-Topic-Note: Consistency is really important for enterprise
> users. It is really key. I think Ruby should care about enterprise
> users too. Enterprise users are the "grandmothers" of the business.

I think they are Rails users.
Their answer is showed by Rails 3.

--
NARUSE, Yui  <naruse / airemix.jp>