Hi,

(2011/01/13 6:52), Jonas Pfenniger (zimbatm) wrote:
> 2011/1/12 Zeno Davatz<redmine / ruby-lang.org>:
>> So why was the Oniguruma-Patch never applied to 1.8.7 or 1.8.6 but then

Because 1.8.6 and 1.8.7 are maintenance branch.
Only bug fixes are backported to them.

Shyouhei Urabe, the maintainer of 1.8.7, said about this in [ruby-core:34051].

>> "some" functions of Oniguruma where copied to 1.9.2 but just "some".

Oniguruma patch is Oniguruma 2.x and only a regexp engine.

But 1.9.2's regexp is not a copy of Oniguruma patch.
It is a fork of original Oniguruma 5.x.
Moreover the forked Oniguruma is the base framework of Ruby M17N
(multilingual support of Ruby).

They are different things.

>>It seems that you really do not use regular expressions.
>>We do use regular expressions in our own code because we have to parse
>>lots of data (PDF files, XLS files, Wordfiles, XML files, etc.) and we
>> have to detect patterns because that is what Ruby is good at. We really
>> need regular expression as does Michael Fellinger. And Fellinger got burned.
>> Read the post I linked above http://url.ba/00z0
> [snip]
>
> Look. ruby-1.9.2 happens to have another regexp engine, but it's
> backward-compatible with 1.8.7, what do you want more ? The confusion
> came because the onuguruma GEM was declaring to be forward-compatible
> with 1.9.2, which is not.
>
> If your parsing is so complicated that you need to use all the power
> of oniguruma, then I suggest that you use the gem, or re-think your
> solution to use a context-free parser like Trollop or Parslet.
>
> In any cases, if 1.9 has some backward-incompatible changes, then no
> 1.8.X release can smooth the path more out. The current release is
> really good. Now it's time for you to do the rest of the work and do
> the transition :) If you want to be helpful, then make a list of
> things that break during the transition.

My comment is the same as Jonas' one.

As I said above, Oniguruma patch and 1.9.2's regexp are different things.
And as you know (for example Michael's case), they are some incompatibility.
So if Oniguruma patch is included in 1.8.8, people will suffer from the
incompatibility.
Such one won't be a bridge from 1.8 to 1.9.

--
NARUSE, Yui  <naruse / airemix.jp>