--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd

On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 02:12:46AM +0900, Eric Wong wrote:
> Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz / ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> > I forgot one more thing.  We core developers are so familiar with
> > referring a patch set as r12345, which is far better identification
> > than e45fe4c of git.  Maybe it's only matter of time though.
>
> One thing git developers (inherited from LKML culture) do is write
> unique, human-oriented subject lines for every commit like we write
> email (to humans) describing the change.

Tim Pope wrote a blog about about git comment recommendations once:

http://tbaggery.com/2008/04/19/a-note-about-git-commit-messages.html

The Ruby svn commit guidelines might have to be updated to better fit
git - if the option of freezing the svn repository is ever considered.

For example, svn users tend to use additional practices (expanded
keywords, changelogs in every file, dates), where git users care more
about the history itself, since its local and can be rewritten/edited
before publishing.

And 'git log' has *so* many useful options, including 'grep'.

Where svn users rely on revision numbers, git users tend to use
branch names, remote repository aliases and tags. Also, branch names
and tags in git are a less brittle option, since reordering and
rebasing changes the hashes anyway.

So instead of using hashes directly, git users more often use relative
commit identifiers (like: trunk~3) and local-only branch and tag names.

Web based tools have clickable links anyway, so the trick there is
integrating trackers, mailers, commit hooks and code browsers, like
GitHub does.

> This helps us identify changes in our minds without needing to memorize
> revision numbers[1]/hashes the same way they mentally follow emails.

Yes, the naming of patches using commit messages and merging directly
from mailboxes makes patches much more friendly than plain diffs.

I like sharing my VCS knowledge too much, so I hope I'm not too noisy
here lately ...

Cezary

--
Cezary Baginski