On 1/5/2011 4:50 PM, mathew wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 13:23, Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas
> <rr.rosas / gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Regarding bazar, I don't know it, as much as most git users.
> I've observed that most git advocates don't know any other DVCS.
> That's probably why they advocate for git citing things that every
> single DVCS does.
>
>> I'm not against it, but I don't think that having a similar command set is a good enough
>> reason for using that instead of the much popular git...
> Well, obviously *you* wouldn't, because you've already taken the time
> to learn git and learn to deal with its pitfalls and idiosyncrasies.
> The point is that bzr wouldn't be a major learning effort for all the
> people currently using svn who don't know git.
>
> As far as popularity goes, http://wiki.bazaar.canonical.com/WhoUsesBzr
>

> mathew

I think it's important to realize that the choice of DVCS is as much a
technical one as a pragmatic/personal preference one. Bazaar's *general*
popularity is not all that relevant-- ultimately it comes down to
popularity within the Ruby community. I don't have statistics, but I'm
under the impression that the majority of Ruby users (not using SVN) are
already using Git. Are we going to force them all to migrate to bzr?
Would having a discussion about bzr's technical merits even convince
them? Why not just stick to the tool that already has a critical mass
and high adoption in the community? This just makes more sense to me.

I believe this discussion was restarted specifically because there has
been a lot of willingness from Ruby users in the community to be able to
contribute, but they were only familiar with Git and SVN was a blocker
(the workflow makes it too complicated for them-- this is reasonable).
It seems that if we were to talk about all the other DVCS's that aren't
Git, we would be subverting the original proposal's intentions entirely,
which is to make it easier for the majority of the community to be able
to contribute patches. Bazaar does not accomplish this goal.

FWIW, I think Bazaar is a great tool. I've used it a few times (yes I do
know other DVCS's), and I wish I could use it more-- but it simply
doesn't make sense to move my repositories off of Github purely for
technical reasons-- I would certainly lose out on potential contributors
if I did so.

- Loren