> > Well, I guess I can help listing some advantages. Using git:
> >
> > - off-line working: it is possible to develop off-line separating the commits
> > - speed: it is much faster to commit, create and alternate branches
> > - sharing: it is much faster to fork the project and save your modifications to Github, for instance, allowing others to review your changes easily than sending patches to specific revisions on Redmine.
> > - rebasing: Git allows us to easily maintain feature branches, through rebasing and history rewriting until it gets merged to master (or trunk)
> > - work-flow: we are able to use many types of work-flow differently from centralized VCS approach.
> > - front-end: Github and Gitorious are great examples of good web interface to git and they are pretty much popular among developers. Also, most (if not all) Rails developers use Git as their main (sole?) VCS and they are a great amount of Ruby developers who might me interested in contributing to Ruby.
> >
> > If I think in more advantages, I'll let you know.
>
> Most advantages and disadvantages are already introduced in this list on previous threads.
> So summarizing themis needed.

If this thread restart has any chance of convincing anyone (other than enticing Ryan to comment) to move the One True Ruby Repo to git, we git partisans should describe _relevant scenarios_ in which we've found git makes committers lives _much_ less painful.

Why should a committer move from a tool they (a) know, (b) know how to maneuver around the warts, and (c) are productive with?  You're asking core committers to take limited time away from features/bug fixes and take a productivity hit for how big of a benefit?

I now use git and mercurial almost exclusively and have flushed almost all but "svn up" from my fingertips.  I'm hooked.  As a user-not-committer, https://github.com/ruby/ruby works great.  If svn's working fine for the committers, why is a change "needed" for users-not-committers?

Unless someone's able to really articulate git advantage(s) that solve _major_ issues for the busy Ruby committer, I don't see the value of this thread.

I suspect experimenting with the existing GitHub mirror repo and time will be more persuasive than most of our replies ;)

Jon

---
http://jonforums.github.com/