Hi,

In message "Re: [ruby-core:34049] Branches and releases (Was:  The rights of ruby-core people and Myth of ruby-dev)"
    on Tue, 4 Jan 2011 16:45:46 +0900, Lucas Nussbaum <lucas / lucas-nussbaum.net> writes:

|Is there going to be a Ruby 1.8.8 release? Isn't it too much to have
|two development branches?

We haven't have any consensus yet.  Maybe it's good time to start
discussion.  I myself don't think 1.8.8 is needed.  But there might be
demand for 1.8.8 or later.

|When Ruby 1.9.2 was released, it maintained ABI compatibility with
|1.9.1. While this made our life as Debian maintainers easier, since we
|could use 1.9.2 as a drop-in replacement for 1.9.1, I think that it
|confused users. What are the plans for 1.9.3? Will it also maintain
|"ruby compatibility level" with 1.9.1? (I would prefer if it did not,
|even if it would make the Debian maintainers' life a bit harder)
|When can it be expected?

This is also an undecided issue.  The trunk might be the candidate for
Ruby 2.0, or 1.9.3.  I vaguely think of the former.  Besides that, we
have no plan to change ABI for trunk.  Unless we meet serious demand,
we are not going to change ABI in 1.9.3/2.0.

							matz.