On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 8:20 AM, Nobuyoshi Nakada <nobu / ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At Wed, 29 Dec 2010 04:26:11 +0900,
> Benoit Daloze wrote in [ruby-core:33965]:
>> Also, how is one UN*X extension developer supposed to deal with this
>> error if he does not want to be compatible with VC ?
>
> It's not a VC specific issue, not all cc on UN*X allow such extension.

Hello Nobu,

While I agree with the reasoning behind the flag, it will have serious
implications across many, many C extensions released on the wild
beyond Ruby bundled ones.

I had my share of experience fixing those incompatibilities in the
past on several extensions like Mongrel, RubyInline/ParseTree and many
others to compile against VC6.

The value of a warning will help the developers detect those, but if
we throw an error instead, will make the extension author life and our
day less happy than usual.

See the following gist:

https://gist.github.com/759778

Can we leave it as warning only? After all, if specific compilers fail
(due the similar VC limitation), authors will be able to spot the
issue due the warning.

--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17