On 28-12-2010 01:54, Joshua Ballanco wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 8:55 PM, Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas
> <rr.rosas / gmail.com <mailto:rr.rosas / gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>      I was always curious about the reasoning Ruby doesn't support
>     multi-line comments. Does anyone knows the reason?
>
>     I remember that the only thing I really didn't like when I first
>     read about Ruby was the absence of multi-line comments and named
>     parameters. The last one will be supported in Ruby 2.0 according
>     to Matz (although I still don't know how will the syntax be), but
>     I still don't know why multi-line comments are not supported in Ruby.
>
>     Please, could someone explain me why supporting multi-line
>     comments is a bad thing?
>

> Do "=begin" and "=end" not work for you?

These are not meant to be used as a multi-line comment, but to generate
documentation instead.

Suppose you want to temporarily comment some block of code for testing
something. "=begin" and "=end" are bad a hack for this, specially if you
want to commit these changes for a while.

What I would really like to know is why commenting with "/* */" or
something like that is a bad thing.

Also, depending on the editor for doing the multi-line comment is not a
good thing either. And if you want to commit the change, the diff will
be bigger than it should be, making it hard for developers to have sure
that only the '#' was added each line in the block unless you use an
specialized diff tool.

Best regards,

Rodrigo.