On 25 December 2010 18:44, NARUSE, Yui <naruse / airemix.jp> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was 19 when I became a comitter.

I'm happy to know that. There is no age limit when there is real
interest I think.

>> My knowledge of C is a bit rusted, but I believe coding for my
>> favorite language will make it soon more accurate.
>> (and I recently wrote a few Ruby C extensions, so I think I could get
>> along relatively quick with the code).
>
> Yeah.
> Moreover when you write the code, the problem is usually almostresolved.

Sure.

>> So, what would you (ruby-core coders) advise me to get better implied
>> in the core of Ruby ?
>>
>> Is it any specific library which especially needs help ?
>
> Many known problems are reported in our Redmine.
> http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/projects/ruby-19/issues
> But most remained bugs are remained because they are not reproducible
> or can't make a small reproducible code.
> So if you can do it, it's a valuable thing.

I am used to report but not to solve them.
That would be indeed helpful, I'll give a try.
(I just fear many need very specific knowledge, or are obvious and
then the reporter already gives a patch)

> Reviewing each commit of Ruby or each source code are also important.
> Ruby must have many bugs but almost of them are hidden in source.
> Reviewing commits prevent them before they are hidden.
> Reviewing codes can find hidden bugs.

I'm already used to look last Ruby's commits, even if I do not
consider myself reviewing them.
That is surely a good way to dig in the code.

> RubySpec can be a good starting point to find such bugs.
> RubySpec sometimes checks edge of Ruby.
> Edge is the nest of bugs; so you can find them easily.

I should definitely look into RubySpec and make some.

> If you find a bug or a strange behavior, please report it to ruby-core
> (or make a ticket to redmine).
> After you report some bugs, you'll be able to fix it yourself.
> After you send many of patches, we invite you as a comitter.

That path seems good to me, although I still doubt of my ability to
solve these bugs.

Thank you for the advices and ideas,

Best regards,
Benoit Daloze

P.S.: Now I have my exams, so I will likely be more active when I'll
have finished them.