On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Ryan Davis <ryand-ruby / zenspider.com> wrote:
> On Dec 12, 2010, at 16:28 , Urabe Shyouhei wrote:
>> Definitely. I'm not against a standardised AST itself; just in doubt for that
>> standard to touch MRI internals. To make a live AST access possible more or
>> less new API is mandatory. The sadness is almost every new featuredded to
>> MRI are seen as Ruby standard these days; we do not want that.
>>

> That's fair... tho in this case I know that rubinius and jruby would throw in support fairly quickly and would probably welcome it as a standard feature.

I see a reason it couldn't/shouldn't remain in a gem and remain
offline. I think the feature to add would be getting source out of
various constructs, so we could simulate live ASTs. If it made people
feel better, it could be an official "core" gem maintained by core
devs (and other impls would probably help too.)

- Charlie