On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 6:32 AM, Shugo Maeda <shugo / ruby-lang.org> wrote:
>> Note that this is just my opinion, and that I seem to be in the
>> minority ;-)
>> I hope that 1.9.x would be stable, but many other committers seem to
>> hope to include new feature in 1.9.x aggressively.
>
> I also hope that 1.9.x would be stable, but I'd like to develop
> aggressively in trunk. I don't think the current design and
> implementation of refinements are mature, but I can't make them mature
> on my own, so I'd like to have help from other committers.

This is what topic branches are for :) I don't believe refinements
should land on trunk, since it's not yet clear whether they should be
included at all. Landing them now, making multiple additional commits
to them, and propagating their changes throughout other
subsystems...all will make it harder to roll back Refinements if it is
decided they shouldn't get into standard Ruby.

I think everyone knows how to check out an alternative branch or
repository :) If they would like to assist you (and you would like
them to assist you) they can do it that way. It shouldn't be done on
mainline, in my opinion, until it has solidified a bit more and it's
certain to be included in an upcoming "standard" Ruby release.

- Charlie