Issue #4068 has been updated by Jeremy Evans.

switch_hitter looks great.  I still don't think the Date class should handle fractional dates, but it's true that doing so will increase compatibility with the current standard date library. I fully support switch_hitter replacing the current standard date library after it is ready.  I think switch_hitter will get close to home_run's performance in most cases, since it takes a similar approach (DateLightData is home_run's data structure plus the sg field).  I only recommend looking at home_run's Date#strftime, Date._strptime, and Date._parse implementations, since those are the methods unrelated to the core data structure that are very slow in the current standard date library and much faster in home_run.

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org