> The fact that many other big HTTP clients still support this says to me there is a benefit to continuing supporting it that outweighs the costs: it's a well known concise way of specifying basic auth info for a web site.

I think, the benefit is compatibility.
Languages which needn't such compatibility, like Java's HttpServletRequest.getRequestURI()
and Python's urllib2 don't support it.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/828076/authentication-using-uri-userinfo-component-http-userinfohostnameport-path-in
http://docs.python.org/library/urllib2.html

> Why not just accept the patch and add a line to Net::HTTP.get rdoc mentioning the deprecation of using URI in this way?

The patch makes the use userinfo of URI easy.
I don't want to promote such deprecated feature.

Like this, Ruby encourage suitable way by adding utility methods,
and Ruby don't add utility methods for wrong way.
Feature request should be on this format.

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org