> Finally, URI already supports this format.  If URI didn't support it
> I wouldn't have made this ticket or a ticket to add it to URI because
> that's a much bigger change philosophically.  Net::HTTP.get already
> accepts a URI.  URI.parse already accepts a user:pass.  I see no
> reason not to pass that info down the chain.

Because a user:pass is deprecated, we have no reason to add
a new feature to support  a user:pass.

> If you feel strongly enough about that deprecation I think we should
> patch URI to no longer accept user:pass and see if people agree.

URI.parse accepts a user:pass because it is still valid URI
even if it is deprecated.
We don't reject, but don't help such use case.

> Net::HTTP.get(URI(..)) is a great concise way to fetch a single
> webpage.  Having to muck the code up just because a site uses basic
> auth seems like a real shame to me.  Especially when this is only a 4
> line change.

I think URI(..).read is a more concise way.

Anyway, adding optional hash argumentto Net::HTTP.get  like
   Net::HTTP.get(uri_or_host, path = nil, port = nil, opt=nil)
and  use like
   Net::HTTP.get(uri, http_basic_authentication: ["user","pass"])
may be acceptable.

--
NARUSE, Yui  <naruse / airemix.jp>