Feature #3963: Map class in standard library

Author: Thomas Sawyer
Target version: 1.9.x

Could we get a class like Ara Howard's Map (http://github.com/ahoward/map) included in Ruby's standard library?

Map is a class that would get a lot of usage. We already see similar classes in other code like Rail's with it's HashWithIndifferentAccess, and my own spin-off from Ruby Facets, the Stash class. It's just one of those things that is genuinely useful. I am not partial to any particular implementation, but I trust Ara's skills and the short name "Map" is pretty nice too.

(Just a side note: Personally I'd prefer the functionality of Map in place of Hash itself, since it has the functionality people want 80% or more of the time, but I realize that is likely to have too many backward compatibility issues for real consideration.)

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org