On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 20:57, James Edward Gray II
<james / graysoftinc.com> wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2010, at 8:44 PM, mathew wrote:
>> So building systems which store and process username and password in
>> this way is a bad idea.
>
> I'm not sure that really applies to open-uri's usage of this strategy.  ¨Βτ§κυστ
> a familiar interface, not some attempt to correctly mirror how FTP servers
> manage logins.  ¨Βοετθατ ναλε σεξσεΏ

I agree that open-uri shouldn't care what is passed to it, and should
just pass the URI to URI for resolution.

I'm not sure URI should be supporting username and password for http,
given the history, but there's also an argument for making the code
general and being permissive.

I was mostly pointing out to the person who wanted to user user:pass
in URIs that he really shouldn't, even if Ruby lets him.

mathew
--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~meta/>