--mimepart_4c912b21c8be4_ef086cac209458

Bug #3834: ext/openssl fails to build in certain scenarios due to misordered pkg-config check

Author: Erik Hollensbe
Category: build, Target version: 1.9.3
ruby -v: HEAD

If mkmf via ext/openssl/extconf.rb is allowed to search for both headers and libs before consulting pkg-config, multiple installations of openssl will cause trouble during build time.

This is evident on my OS X 10.6 system with macports, gcc 4.2.1 from macports, openssl 1.0.0a from macports, and openssl 0.9.x provided by OS X. The problem appears at a glance is that it will locate the 1.0 headers first, the 0.9 libs first, and then prepare the conftest programs with improper ldflags based on its findings.

It's entirely probable there's a deeper autoconf, rbconfig, mkmf, or compiler issue that I am missing, but the solution I found is in the attachedatch, which is to run pkg_config first, and in the event it fails, fallack to the default header / lib search that was previously in place. I think this will work for situations where pkg-config isn't available for openssl, but I was unable to test that case.

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org

--mimepart_4c912b21c8be4_ef086cac209458
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--mimepart_4c912b21c8be4_ef086cac209458--