On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 18:57, Nikolai Weibull <now / bitwi.se> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 18:21, Magnus Holm <judofyr / gmail.com> wrote:
>> A tiny suggestion for how we could make it possible to call lambdas
>> with parenthesis.
>
> I realize that I breaking the thread, but why is the calling of
> lambdas with parentheses such an important issue? I”Ēve never missed
> it. Having to write foo.call never seemed like an issue to me. I
> sort of like the lack of parentheses.

Lambda's feel a bit like second class citizens because of this. I
think in Ruby it is important that syntax works as you would expect it
to. Using :[] or :call is just not the first thing you'd expect to
use. It kind of feels like lambda's are something that were added to
ruby as an afterthought.

So I wouldn't think of it as an important issue, since :[] and :call
work fine, but rather as some spot in ruby that needs a bit of
polishing to make it just a bit more intuitive and elegant.