Hi Elise,

I'm hijacking your no-so-on-topic because I feel the same:

On 11.09.2010 09:48, elise huard wrote:
> ok, this is not exactly on topic, but I'm using Debian and Ubuntu a
> lot, and the first thing I do is install rvm and stop using the system
> ruby.
> Before rvm I used to directly install from source and work outside of
> package management.  Ruby's moving too fast for Debian, that's all,
> however I'm very happy with the distribution in general.

I'm "totally in love" with Debian, primarily speaking as a server-side
developer, less the GUI type (which means I can't speak for Ubuntu). I'm
pretty new to Ruby and only using it occasionally since a year but it's
getter more and more.

I forgot into how many walls I ran while sorting Ruby, gem and
versioning issues across the time. Until I discovered "rvm". Since then
I usually completely uninstall the Debian Ruby packages and rely only on
"rvm".

Interestingly, being a PHP developer for way too long and a Debian user
for even longer, I never had so many troubles with it (I consider them a
bit a-like due what "pear" provides, though in my view Ruby/gem stuff
looks more mature). I'm not sure why, maybe because PHP releases are
rather slow going at times and developer writing their libs try to be
compatible as much as possible. IDK.

I don't want to have poor Debian package Ruby support (or worse: none at
all) and actually I'd prefer them, it there weren't "those" troubles.
Now If you ask me which ones: I can't exactly tell them anymore, it was
some time ago I discovered "rvm" and didn't looked back since ...

- Markus