--xgyAXRrhYN0wYx8y

On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 10:13:31PM +0900, Yusuke ENDOH wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> 2010/9/9 Aaron Patterson <aaron / tenderlovemaking.com>:
> > Can you elaborate on the criteria required for importing a library to
> > stdlib?  I do not understand the requirements.
>=20
> IMO, we need either:
>=20
>   - An unavoidable reason why the core team couldn't help but bundle
>     it, or

We're all good engineers, so it's easy for us to come up with reasons to
avoid bundling.  Unfortunately, the only unavoidable reasons in favor of
bundling anything in stdlib are

  - it's already been bundled, so we must continue to bundle it

  - it's required for ruby build process

Nokogiri has not been bundled yet, and I don't think we need an XML parser =
for
Ruby build process (maybe we should switch to ant?  ;-) ).

>   - Matz or Yugui's authority ;-)

I guess I am forced to appeal to Matz and Yugui!

> Ruby 1.8 was an epoch of enhancing stdlib, but unfortunately, many
> maintainers left, which results in severe maintenance problems.
> In addition, Ruby 1.9 includes RubyGems, which allow users to
> install a library easily.
> Furthermore, Ruby has been criticized because of disregard for
> compatibility.
>=20
> These three made the 1.9 stdlib set very pedantic, I think.

I think you're right.  But I also think giving an easy way for stdlib to
have out of band releases would help these problems.

--=20
Aaron Patterson
http://tenderlovemaking.com/

--xgyAXRrhYN0wYx8y