On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 1:41 PM, Roger Pack <rogerdpack2 / gmail.com> wrote:

> The biggest one I can think of currently is that rubygems *doesn't
> support* gems that are targeted at specific runtimes. =A0For example you
> cannot specify that gem "x" applies only to ruby 1.9 and greater.

that is not true, see required_ruby_version.

> Thus you have to distribute "huge gems" which work for every version
> of ruby, separately, or rename your gem (like ruby-debug19).

ruby-debug is a separate thing because it extension needs to do things
differently than 1.8 version.

> This also causes odd failures when using 1.9 on windows, because if
> you do a "gem install win32api" it ends up installing a gem that has
> binaries compiled only compatible with 1.8, so it fails at runtime.

I believe those are separate things, those issues can be solved with
fat-binary gems or compiler been available for Windows users.

> Suggest fixing this first. =A0Then it would probably work great.

Let's bring the conversation back to stdlib packaged "as gems" and not
bring non-stdlib issues to the table.
--=20
Luis Lavena
AREA 17