On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 10:45 AM, James Edward Gray II
<james / graysoftinc.com> wrote:
> Taken from the bundle Nokogiri thread:
>
>> Currently, we're discussing three different topics:
>
>> ) all stdlib should be converted to gem, or not
>
>> Next, the point 3 should be discussed in another thread.
>> You can't have it both ways at once.
>
> I guess I'm not understanding.

The biggest one I can think of currently is that rubygems *doesn't
support* gems that are targeted at specific runtimes.  For example you
cannot specify that gem "x" applies only to ruby 1.9 and greater.
Thus you have to distribute "huge gems" which work for every version
of ruby, separately, or rename your gem (like ruby-debug19).

This also causes odd failures when using 1.9 on windows, because if
you do a "gem install win32api" it ends up installing a gem that has
binaries compiled only compatible with 1.8, so it fails at runtime.

Suggest fixing this first.  Then it would probably work great.

-r