> I rarely have used x +=3D 1; I'd rather consider x +=3D 1 as code smell
> (hint: use iterators). =A0So reducing key strokes here may not be
> effective.

True I rarely use them, as well, but whenever I do, I wish there was a ++ h=
andy

With regard to atomicity: most people "assume" ||=3D is atomic, so I
don't feel bad about giving them more ambiguous constructs.  If they
don't have the right synchronization this isn't the only problem
they'll have, so it shouldn't add much extra complexity.

> So it's a totally different beast from the OP wanted.  I want to
> address monkey patching scoping in Ruby 2.0, and (I hope) Shugo Maeda
> will explain the classbox (his attempt to scoped modification) at the
> RubyConf 2010.  Stay tuned.

Look forward to it.

Another idea that might actually satisfy the same ambition would be to
introduce "mixout"

then code that does intrusive monkey patching that it doesn't want to
share can, at load time, do

Float.mixin MyModule
# do my stuff that uses it
Float.mixout MyModule

Also the Module#prepend might help in this regard, since you would be
able to mixin your own methods without overriding existing ones.
Thanks!
-r