On Sep 8, 2010, at 10:03 , Marcus Rueckert wrote:

> On 2010-09-09 01:45:43 +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:
>> Taken from the bundle Nokogiri thread:
>>=20
>>> Currently, we're discussing three different topics:
>>=20
>>> 3) all stdlib should be converted to gem, or not
>>=20
>>> Next, the point 3 should be discussed in another thread.
>>> You can't have it both ways at once.
>>=20
>> I guess I'm not understanding.  What are the minuses of Ruby shipping
>> with a set of blessed gems?  I can't think of any.
>=20
> well for one ... we would kind of need 2 directories for said gems =
imho.
> because uninstalling the gems that form the stdlib or a release should
> not be possible.

I must pitch in with James and voice that I think this is a false =
requirement as well.

> I have been discussing some kind of vendor gems
> directory for gems installed by a distributor which shouldnt be =
removed
> with "gem uninstall" either, so once this feature is implemented both
> use cases can be achieved.

That feature IS implemented (except the "shouldn't be removed" part... =
that seems presumptuous and rude imo). Apple implemented it and =
submitted patches back to rubygems years ago. Very nice of them I might =
add.