On Sep 8, 2010, at 09:40 , Yusuke ENDOH wrote:

>  - "gem install nokogiri" cannot be used on environment not
>    connected to internet.

That just isn't true and I think this misunderstanding is actually part =
of the contention. We can ship the nokogiri gem in the tarball and the =
install can install the gem just like it installs everything else.

% gem install gems/nokogiri-1.4.3.1.gem

The same thing could be done for rake, faster-csv, and any other libs =
that aren't used by the build/test phases directly.

There is a big added benefit to this approach. We can add a post-install =
message that tells people that they should run:

% sudo gem update --system
% sudo gem update

(or it can run it itself if it detects a network)

That way, no matter what gets installed by ruby, the user can update and =
pick up additional features, security fixes (think about the number of =
security updates we've had for webrick), etc.