--6sX45UoQRIJXqkqR

On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 02:06:50AM +0900, Yusuke ENDOH wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for creating a new thread so quickly :-)
>

> 2010/9/9 James Edward Gray II <james / graysoftinc.com>:
> > Taken from the bundle Nokogiri thread:
> >
> >> Currently, we're discussing three different topics:
> >
> >>   3) all stdlib should be converted to gem, or not
> >
> >> Next, the point 3 should be discussed in another thread.
> >> You can't have it both ways at once.
> >
> > I guess I'm not understanding. ?What are the minuses of Ruby shipping with a set of blessed gems? ?I can't think of any.
>

> If I understand the suggestion correctly...
>
>  pros:
>   1) advantage for users: they can use "gem update" if stdlib has
>      an update.  Users can also use "gem remove".

I hope this this advantage is not understated.  When stdlib has a bug,
we have to *live with that bug* until the next release of Ruby.  To work
around, people are forced to monkey patch stdlib.

Even worse is the disadvantage to people who are stuck with a particular
Ruby version in production.  Many people can update gems at will, but
not Ruby versions.  Those unfortunate people have to live with the bug
_even longer_ than Ruby's release cycle.

>   2) advantage for library developers: they can preserve separate
>      releases from Ruby itself.
>
>   3) advantage for the core team: they not have to do security
>      release if stdlib has a security issue, because "gem update"
>      can be used.
>
>  cons:
>   1) disadvantage for the core team: developping style will get
>      complex.  The core team must care multiple entities: Ruby
>      package and stdlib gems.

I don't think this con is true.  Development of these gems could stay in
the Ruby svn repository.  There is no reason to keep them in separate
repositories.  Gem releases could be made from the Ruby source itself.
Gem releases would only happen with the ruby-core member in charge of
that stdlib gem deems appropriate.

--
Aaron Patterson
http://tenderlovemaking.com/