Hi,

Thanks for creating a new thread so quickly :-)

2010/9/9 James Edward Gray II <james / graysoftinc.com>:
> Taken from the bundle Nokogiri thread:
>
>> Currently, we're discussing three different topics:
>
>>   3) all stdlib should be converted to gem, or not
>
>> Next, the point 3 should be discussed in another thread.
>> You can't have it both ways at once.
>
> I guess I'm not understanding. ?What are the minuses of Ruby shipping with a set of blessed gems? ?I can't think of any.

If I understand the suggestion correctly...

 pros:
  1) advantage for users: they can use "gem update" if stdlib has
     an update.  Users can also use "gem remove".

  2) advantage for library developers: they can preserve separate
     releases from Ruby itself.

  3) advantage for the core team: they not have to do security
     release if stdlib has a security issue, because "gem update"
     can be used.

 cons:
  1) disadvantage for the core team: developping style will get
     complex.  The core team must care multiple entities: Ruby
     package and stdlib gems.

Is my understanding right?

Pros 3 was denied by some committers.  They said, the core team has
to distribute security release, no matter if stdlibs are gems or not,
because they are parts of Ruby distribution.

So, there is not advantage but disadvantage for the core team...
I think this is why core team is reluctant.

--
Yusuke Endoh <mame / tsg.ne.jp>