Currently, we're discussing three different topics:

  1) REXML should be unbundled or not
  2) Nokogiri should be bundled or not
  3) all stdlib should be converted to gem, or not

First, we will NOT remove REXML from 1.9 for compatibility reason,
even if Nokogiri provides REXML-compatible layer.  No matter how
anyone says, this is the fact.  Please accept.  Compatiblity is
not problem of "brave".

Next, the point 3 should be discussed in another thread.
You can't have it both ways at once.

This thread started for discussion about merging Nokogiri.
Let's focus on the point 2 in this thread.

We should present advantage to bundle both Nokogiri and REXML.
I showed some pros (and cons) to committers (on Japanese IRC), and
received some rebuttals immediately:

 pros:
  - newbie tends to search library from stdlib first, but REXML
    should not be used.  By deprecating REXML (but not unbundled)
    and providing Nokogiri, we can indicate to newbie the right
    road.

    -> rebuttal: even if it is really needed, it is enough to
       deprecate REXML.

  - we can save time for many Ruby users to type "gem install
    nokogiri"

    -> rebuttal: OTOH, it wastes time and HDD space for people who
       do not use Nokogiri.

  - "gem install nokogiri" cannot be used on environment not
    connected to internet.

    -> question: is there people who uses Nokogiri on such a strict
       environment?

 cons:
  - Ruby distribution becomes enlarged; more maintainance effort is
    needed (but I can believe Aaron will do so responsibly)

  - Nokogiri may not preserve separate releases

IMO, I don't think it is good idea to refute the rebuttals.
It would be good to find another advantage.  Do you have?

--
Yusuke Endoh <mame / tsg.ne.jp>