--opJtzjQTFsWo+cga

On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 09:32:42PM +0900, Kouhei Sutou wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In <AANLkTimyHxeMW6j6LjPJjz0cPuDns_Q0K-7yEMW9ZX53 / mail.gmail.com>
>   "[ruby-core:32078] Re: merging nokogiri to ext/" on Mon, 6 Sep 2010 10:38:15 +0900,
>   Chad Fowler <chad / chadfowler.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 6:33 AM, Vincent Isambart <vincent.isambart / gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >     > Supposedly there are REXML tests that are maintained outside of Ruby,
> >     > but I don't know where those are. -(
> >
> >     There are tests in the tar.gz available on the official REXML web page:
> >     http://www.germane-software.com/archives/rexml_3.1.7.3.tgz
> >
> > They are quite bad.
>
> I don't know why exsiting test is bad.

I haven't read them carefully, but maybe they are not comprehensive?
There seem to be only 363 tests, but it's something to work with.

> > I think removing REXML and other non-essential libraries is a good ideand
> > important to help open up the library ecosystem. Presence of a library in the
> > standard library discourages developers from creating their own competing
> > libraries.
>
> I don't know why there is a relation between the standard
> library and the ecosystem. There are many counter examples:
> Nokogiri itself, miniunit and so on.

Of course the standard library has an impact on the ecosystem.  Unless
you're saying that nobody uses the standard library?  I could believe
that, but I don't think it's true.

IMHO when someone downloads Ruby and dives in to the standard library,
they should be greeted with some of the best things Ruby has to offer.

--
Aaron Patterson
http://tenderlovemaking.com/

--opJtzjQTFsWo+cga