--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+

On Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 06:07:31PM +0900, U.Nakamura wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In message "[ruby-core:32009] merging nokogiri to ext/"
>     on Sep.02,2010 17:58:24, <aaron / tenderlovemaking.com> wrote:
> > I would like to merge nokogiri to ext for the 1.9.3 release.  I spoke to
> > various people about this (including other ruby-core people) and
> > everyone seems to think it's a good idea.
>
> !?

eh?  Did I make a mistake?  Nobody wants it in stdlib?

> > May I go forward with committing nokogiri to trunk under ext?
>
> What is the reason to bundle nokogiri?

REXML has many faults.  I can go in to detail with each, but I *think*
most people (who are not new to Ruby) know about them.

I think it is important that Ruby ships with a well maintained,
performant, easy to use, standard abiding XML parsing library.  I believe
nokogiri surpasses REXML in all of these fields.

It seems to me that many new users of Ruby start with REXML, then when
they find the problems they must pay the price of porting code from
REXML to nokogiri.  I think it would be a nicer experience for
new-comers to ruby.

> I think that we should not increase bundled libraries, because
> we already have rubygems as standard library installer.

I agree.  We should convert all stdlib to gems.  Now that we have gem
prelude, what is the point of putting things in stdlib?

--
Aaron Patterson
http://tenderlovemaking.com/

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+