On Jul 22, 2010, at 12:42 PM, Roger Pack wrote:

> I think his original complaint was that if he's passing back data from =
a method, like
>=20
> def give_me_your_binary_data
> end
>=20
> The *can't* pass back a string that is marked as BINARY encoding, =
since querying for its encoding returns "ASCII-8BIT".
>=20
> See the previous discussion (which I think never quite terminated--any =
more thoughts there?)
> Maybe it should be renamed as its default GENERIC and have ASCII-8BIT =
as an alias.
> Thoughts?

If this is the case, then I feel we're arguing semantics. There is no =
such thing as an "ASCII-8BIT" string (where by "string" I mean an array =
of characters that can be printed). Values 129-256 in an "ASCII-8BIT" =
string cannot be printed or converted to any other encoding. Personally, =
I'd be in favor of making "BINARY" the default and "ASCII-8BIT" the =
alias, but it shouldn't matter.

- Josh=