Issue #3140 has been updated by Yehuda Katz.

Bundler can work around this issue, but only using very brittle hacks that could easily break in a future patch level. Additionally, this would mean that the only reliable way to use Ruby 1.9.2 with Rubygems is bundler. I like bundler and all, but requiring it as a pre-requisite for using Ruby with Rubygems is unacceptable.

Bottom line: I cannot personally support a version of Ruby that can silently require a dependency that is explicitly disallowed by the parent. That possibility is ridiculous, and I'm amazed that, for months, it has been downplayed.

If the problem is that ruby-core doesn't use RubyGems that much, and isn't willing to avoid breaking fundamental package manager properties, perhaps it's worth reconsidering including it in Ruby 1.9.

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org