> I=92m sorry for being so slow to understand, but I still don=92t see why
> Ruby can=92t use the char * that I=92ve malloced myself. =A0I want to be
> able to tell Ruby that =94here, take this char *, I own it, no one else
> knows about it, guaranteed, and I=92m now giving it to you for you to
> own, I don=92t want it anymore=94.

Yet an other simple reason: Ruby Strings are mutable.
What should Ruby do if some text is appended to this String?
You can only use realloc if you are 100% sure this memory has been
alloced using malloc.

You could create your own class that does not copy the content and
behaves like a String though.