Issue #1478 has been updated by Luis Lavena.

Hello,

I would like to mention that something similar to this archiving technique already exist of Ruby, but is soemthing very Windows specific.

It is called exerb:

http://exerb.sourceforge.jp/index.en.html

Ignoring for a second it is Windows specific, it solves the require replacement, package of files, lookup and execution. Not only that, but it also extracts and dlopen C extensions and DLLs if needed.

While it provides a different entry point for the application (is for single executable packaging), I believe is worth researching into it.

Again, I believe a combination of ar (with the exception of members limit) and optional compression technique with something already existing in exerb could be nice.

I'm mentioning the exerb project because I believe is worth understanding existing solutions and avoid reinventing the wheel and failing into the same problems of other implementations already faced.

Regards,
--
Luis Lavena

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org