On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 6:03 AM, Urabe Shyouhei <shyouhei / ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> Headius, I'm not against for the idea of archiving itself, and I don't think
> compressions being evil. I'm just doubtful on it.

I really have no opinion one way or another about compression, since
in a large number of domains it doesn't really make a difference to
users. I just meant to correct facts, since JRuby (partially via JVM)
does support running scripts contained within compressed zip files,
and it's integral to many (most?) uses of JRuby. I would hope that
compression is made available but optional, just like it is for .jar
files.

FWIW, another case where compression is useful: when you want to ship
additional data (not just code) along with an archive. Compressing a
few kb of code is not a big deal, I agree...but if you also want/need
to ship a large data file in the archive, having compression built
into the archive implementation would be very convenient.

- Charlie