Issue #3140 has been updated by Run Paint Run Run.

> I don't agree, this is forcing people to add require 'rubygems' to their code,
> which is unacceptable as well. Introducing broken semantics into the core
> language will add support load to rubygems, bundler, debian, rails, and a
> bunch of other places.

We're talking at cross purposes. Prior to 1.9, people already had to add `require 'rubygems'` to their code before requiring a gem. Therefore, given that 1.9.2 will be the first viable 1.9 release, the compulsion is precisely the same as before: on 1.8 and 1.9.2 users will be "forced" to `require 'rubygems'` before loading a gem under traditional semantics. Nothing has changed in this regard.

> There is more than can be done in this direction... [deletia]

Which is also what I said. Nobody is suggesting that the current patch is anything approaching ideal. If your proposal meets the myriad requirements, then it will indeed be a welcome replacement.

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org