Issue #3140 has been updated by Run Paint Run Run.

> @runpaint I don't think it does, since comment 17 does a simple require without requiring
> rubygems or using the #gem command.

I misspoke. I meant that if it is preceded with `require 'rubygems'` it works as it should. IOW, the 1.8, and arguably correct, behaviour is available by explicitly requiring 'rubygems', meaning that scripts that work under 1.8 will behave in the same fashion under 1.9. Under 1.9, fans of brevity can omit `require 'rubygems'` if willing to accept the altered semantics. This is an uneasy compromise from any angle, but does at least retain backward compatibility.

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org