On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 6:19 PM, Yehuda Katz <wycats / gmail.com> wrote:
> We are about to ship a version of Ruby with a built in package manager wi=
th
> the following property:
>
> Given a package X with dependency Y, attempting to load X might require
> dependency Z without any warning.
>
> There is literally no other distribution of anything that would not consi=
der
> that property a major show-stopper. I am baffled about how this bug has
> existed in the tracker so long, is considered "normal" priority, and has =
now
> been bumped to 1.9.3 at the earliest.

While I agree with Yehuda that this is a bug that is high priority and
should be addressed in 1.9.2, I don't agree on the solutions.

I still wonder what is the reason of gem_prelude to exist, and if just
to avoid require 'rubygems', why not document the usage of
RUBYOPT=3Drubygems and get over it?

gem_prelude has not provided any value at all and instead added lot of
magic to the require process.

Not only that, but arbitrarily polluting *my* $LOAD_PATH and slowing
down any simple require statement due necessary File.stat performed in
all the elements of $LOAD_PATH before loading anything.

I wish there is a configure option like --disable-gem-prelude so I can
happily ship binaries for RubyInstaller without dealing with weird
errors reports I'm receiving in my personal inbox.

Thank you.
--=20
Luis Lavena
AREA 17