Issue #3479 has been updated by Roger Pack.

In my case I sort an array once, then I search it frequently for certain elements later.  A binary search method would be quite convenient.

>> As a standard API's behaviour "input is always sorted" kind of assumption is hard to accept I think.

I think it would be ok to specify the aberrant behavior "note if your array is not sorted this gives undefined results" or what not.

Another option might be to freeze the array once it's sorted.  Something like Array#sort_and_freeze

class Array
 def sort_and_freeze!
  @sorted = true
  sort!
  freeze

Though for me, I'm fine with not doing this and allowing for mutable arrays, and just specify that the author must sort them first.
Thoughts?
-rp

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org