Issue #3478 has been updated by Stephen Touset.

The patch would be very difficult to do change by change, partly because the entire class is rewritten to descend from String. Suffice it to say, virtually all of the methods in the original Pathname library tried to implement logic themselves, sometimes in a very inefficient manner, rather than falling back upon the well-optimized implementations in File. This rewrite is akin to the switch from CSV to FasterCSV, which I don't believe was submitted as a series of patches. As the code passes all of the related Ruby specs, I wouldn't think this would take too much effort to review and merge in.

The documentation was different because I rewrote the class without the anticipation of having it become part of standard Ruby. I can change the code to mimic the original comments in Pathname without too much effort, if it would help get the patch accepted.

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org