On May 22, 2010, at 09:41, Evan Phoenix wrote:
> On May 22, 2010, at 3:58 AM, Benoit Daloze wrote:
>> On 22 May 2010 01:44, Caleb Clausen <vikkous / gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm not a big fan of .zip either, but give it its due.
>>>=20
>>> Zip has the advantage that you can 'seek' to arbitrary files within
>>> the archive without needing to decompress all the other files that
>>> come before it. That's not true of gzipped tar files.....
>>>=20
>>> Because each member of a zip file is a compressed separately. But =
this
>>> same design decision is why .tar.gz compresses better than .zip, =
given
>>> the same collection of files.
>>>=20
>> What about LZMA (p7zip, xz) ?
>=20
> I have looked into this in the past and could not find any open source =
libraries for reading 7z or xz files. That is the biggest reason not to =
use them, we don't want to start this project off writing a container =
format.

Does Rubinius still have the archive feature?  Does it still use my ar =
implementation?

RubyGems implements tar files, so it would be easy to glue together =
Gem::Package::TarReader/Writer and Zlib::GzipReader/Writer for a proof =
of concept that will work without having to figure out what is "optimal"=