On 5/20/10, Jonathan Nielsen <jonathan / jmnet.us> wrote:
> OK Hiroshi, I read some of the comments earlier in the thread that I
> had missed before (looks like they were sent through RedMine)
>
> One of my concerns with using jar files is it requires reading zip
> files which is not supported by the ruby stdlib.  I would like to have
> the format readable by at least back to 1.8.7 with minimal extra
> library requirements.  On old versions (like 1.8.7) it is probably
> acceptable to have some required extra libraries, but it would be best
> if we didn't have a dependency like rubyzip in new versions (1.9
> series) just to open the files, and I doubt rubyzip (or similar) will
> be included in stdlib anytime soon.

I'm not a big fan of .zip either, but give it its due.

Zip has the advantage that you can 'seek' to arbitrary files within
the archive without needing to decompress all the other files that
come before it. That's not true of gzipped tar files.....

Because each member of a zip file is a compressed separately. But this
same design decision is why .tar.gz compresses better than .zip, given
the same collection of files.