On May 20, 2010, at 10:41 PM, Jonathan Nielsen wrote:

> OK Hiroshi, I read some of the comments earlier in the thread that I
> had missed before (looks like they were sent through RedMine)
>=20
> One of my concerns with using jar files is it requires reading zip
> files which is not supported by the ruby stdlib.  I would like to have
> the format readable by at least back to 1.8.7 with minimal extra
> library requirements.  On old versions (like 1.8.7) it is probably
> acceptable to have some required extra libraries, but it would be best
> if we didn't have a dependency like rubyzip in new versions (1.9
> series) just to open the files, and I doubt rubyzip (or similar) will
> be included in stdlib anytime soon.

It's too early in the project to discount any ideas. Using zip has a =
number of upsides that we should explore. As for bundling rubyzip, thats =
really not an issues since this project is going to require modifying =
1.8.7 anyway.

The situation can be mitigated by bundling a C zip reading library as =
well.

 - Evan