Issue #3219 has been updated by caleb clausen.

It is all too easy to write assert(foo, bar) when you meant to write assert_equal(foo, bar). I have made the same mistake myself a number of times. Usually, no error will result because assert allows an optional second parameter (an alternate String to be printed when the assertion fails).

I'd suggest that a better way to detect this problem is for assert to fail if a non-String is passed as the second parameter. This won't detect all cases of using assert when you meant assert_equal, but it should catch at lest 90%.

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org