On Apr 18, 2010, at 21:28, Kornelius Kalnbach wrote:
> On 19.04.10 05:36, Eric Hodel wrote:
>> RDoc now maps :: to class methods and # and . to instance methods
>> when cross-referencing.
> Mapping Foo.bar to Foo#bar is a strange decision, in my view. Foo.bar
> should be equal to Foo::bar.

Mapping Foo.bar to Foo#bar for cross references is backwards compatible.

Previous versions of ri displayed "Foo::bar" when bar was a class method =
(currently RDoc display what you typed in, a future version will display =
:: for class methods again).  If you don't know whether the method =
you're looking for is an instance method or a class method '.' allows =
you to let ri do the work of figuring it out.

I've seen no de-facto mapping in the community of Foo.bar to either =
Foo::bar or Foo#bar.

In a future version RDoc cross-references will map Foo.bar to Foo::bar =
if there is no Foo#bar like ri.  This will make RDoc's convention of =
using '.' to mean either instance method or class method universal.=