On 4/17/10, Kornelius Kalnbach <murphy / rubychan.de> wrote:
> On 18.04.10 04:34, Caleb Clausen wrote:
>> In my judgment, this would be too much additional complication in an
>> area of the parser/lexer that's already extremely squirelly.
> Ironically, it could still make the language easier to use for humans.
> Because our eyes are not yacc.

Yes.

> And maybe our eyes are on the right track here. I don't think this
> should be valid:
>
>   print = 0
>   foo ? print :bar
>
> because the : obviously belongs to :bar. I doubt there's an editor on
> this planet which realizes that bar is not a symbol.

The small improvement in readability didn't seem worth the trouble to
me. But to my surprise, nobu just went ahead and implemented it. I'm
still wondering about the general case.

> An improved even-spaces rule for the ternary operator might really help.

Can you be specific? I vaguely recall there being some unique special
cases around ternaries, but the details elude me.